Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Diversity in Unity

It's that time of the day (rather night) when I should be dreaming and not penning down my thoughts. I would not blame you if you think that the title is a typo. How I wish it was!

We are taught in our childhood (so that we become 'good' citizens) that India is known for Unity in diversity...that all religions live together in harmony...big terms for a kid but the essence of unity in diversity seeps through. It's Unity that matters and not the diversity.

Alas! We grow up only to see that this world is not for purists. The practicality part of our learning goes for a toss. Where do I see the unity. I vote for a person to become the president because she is from my state. Nothing else matters. Not even her antecedents. I want my state to be represented in all the committees.

I listen to my leader who propagates that our state is for natives and not for the 'rest of Indians'. Wherever I go, be it for study,work anything, the first thing I look for is a person from my state. I cry for discrimination against my state, when a player is not selected. I want my neighbour to equally share the water but I do not want to spare a drop.....

The list goes on...Where the hell is unity? I see nothing but diversity. People have come to a stage where India is united (to the world) but Indians are not. It's high time we change what we teach the lower grade students...India is a country with diversity in unity.

Happy 60th Birthday India....

2 comments:

kishore said...

Aur Sidhuuji....so hows ur MBA going on? Utna time hi nahi milta hoga sochne ki, ki hows things are going!

..::RaMo::.. said...

Nice topic ra Sid...!!!

We have many diversified factors ra... culture and customs... caste and language... attire.. food... etc... still some where in our heart we have a feeling that we are Indians...

I accept the fact that... when we are in India we want our state to be on top... we fight for AndhraPradesh.. in AP we still fight for regions (telengana, rayalaseema and andra).. in regions we still fight for our districts... in district we still fight for our village... in village we fight for our home and family.. in our family and home we want our tastes and interests accepted by all...

Still some where in our heart, we are INDIANS... we feel this better if we come out of India...