Thursday, March 16, 2006

Amma...avakaya..

Staying under parental guidance was the best thing to have happened to me. I never cared of anything and was enjoying life. 22 years, that's till my graduation, was the exact time I lived like this. Always got whatever I wanted, be it food, clothes or anything. Maa ka haath ka khana was what I always liked. Once in a while I used to crib. "What's this amma? You did the same curry yesterday." "C'mon amma. Why don't you do something tasty?". Though I got the best of freedom, I always craved for more. I always thought that I could stay even away from home. Alas, this was not to be.

I had to move out looking for jobs. This was about 18 months back and I landed in Hyderabad. Took a small apartment with 4 more friends. What about food? Well...a 'good' mess in the localty was where we used to go. First week was awesome. "Wah..life ho toh aisi. Cool work, masti with friends and good food in the mess. What else do you need?". Well, things change rapidly like a One-day international.

The mess proved to be a damp squib. Repition of the menu and deterioration of quality made us look for a better alternative. But, is it a problem with the mess? No. It's the same as it was in the beginning. I liked it at first because I was looking for a change. Change from what I get at home. But, once I got used to it, it's the same old story. This is where I really miss maa ka haath ka khana. Put simply it's like this... Home made food is good more often than not. You will enjoy outside food only if it's once in a while.

May be, this is the way life taught me...You never admire the beauty of things when you possess them. You feel the greatness only in the absence.

No comments: