Sunday, October 12, 2008

Next???


I wake up in the morning and come out of my room. All the hostel rooms in my floor are locked. It's absolutely silent. I don't sense anything foul and proceed to the loo. I wash my face and come back to my room. Strangely, there's not even one person in the floor who's in his room!


I just wondered what could have happened...and go into my room. My laptop is blank strangely...it doesn't work and I can’t do a thing about it. I pump my fists in anger "Damn it! ...What's happening to the network these days?" I then think of utilising the time by having my breakfast.


I move out of my room. In an action out of sheer curiosity, I check for the people on my floor. It's still empty. I just smile to myself and move to the mess.


I meet no one on the way to the mess too. Though the mess area is just a 1 min walk from my hostel, it's quite unusual not to meet anyone. I just brushed it away and enter the mess.


Lo and behold! The mess area is empty too! I just wondered if it's too early. I look at my wrist. "Damn it!"....I forgot my watch. I frantically search for my cell phone....it's not in my pocket...Something must be really weird. I looked up at the wall clock and shit....it's not there....what's happening to this place, I wondered.


I proceeded from the eating area to the serving area. And to my surprise there's no one there as well....What the hell is this; where on earth did they go to?


I thought of venturing into the kitchen. I couldn't hear a bit, which is quite unusual for our kitchen area which always bristles with activity. I moved deep into the kitchen but I could see none, hear none and sense no one!


"Any body here", I gave a small cry....there's no response....I was getting sick by the silence. Someone rightly said, Silence is a killer punch.


"Helloooooooo"....I yelled at the top of my voice.....I could hear the echo...of my own yell, but could hear no one else....this is getting to me now....


Thang.....I hear a sound from a room to my left and in front....I slowly walked to that room....I was little sceptic too since this lonely place is looking scary now and also the fact that I never ventured this deep into our kitchen area...


"Anybody there?"


No reply


"Helloooooooooo"


That was more of a shout than a cry....and it had a response...


Thang...thang...thang....the sounds were a refreshing change from the silence. But they increased the anxiety.


I entered the room and was shocked to see…a tumbling glass; in fact glasses.


Though there is a nice pack of glasses on the table, three of them are on the floor. That probably explained the clattering sound. But who made this pile? Who made this sound??? It's getting stranger and little scarier.


I decided to run out of the room when there was a small sound. Creeeeeekkkkkkk....the sound came from my right side. I could sense my heart which is now beating doubly fast. The sweat beads on my forehead are keeping me cool but there is scare written all over my face!


Creeeekkkk....creekkk....the sound was dying down but not the scare! I was getting nervous. Should I or shouldn't I? This is getting mysterious. Slow steps did take me closer to the sound but deep down I wanted to leave. I was an arm length away from the door when....


Thuddddddd.....the door banged at a very fast rate. I was shell shocked. "Any body there?"...it was more a whisper. I wanted to run away but somehow my legs pulled me closer to the door. 


I slowly opened the door. This room looked old...very old. There were some huge utensils at a corner of the room and some old furniture. But what fascinated me is a revolving chair at the centre of the room. I took small steps towards the chair. "Hello...." this is surely meant to be heard by whoever is sitting in the chair. It evoked no response. "He...." I was about to speak out when I heard…


"Any body there?".... Is that someone yelling to him...."Anyone in....hellooooooo" this time they shouted.


I wanted to run back in that direction. I left the room and was walking back. Casually I glanced back; the revolving chair is now not there. Or am I imagining things? It must have been not visible from this angle. But, I didn't move any acute angle. It was just a straight path.


I now got back into the eating area. Wonder! There's no one...then who yelled? I tried looking at all sides...even in the little area just outside the mess...to my surprise there's no one. Then who yelled? Am I imagining all this? It looked baffling!


I went back to the kitchen. I decided to unravel the mystery of the chair. Didn't it move? It certainly did...and I saw it. A glance to my right side and there was a big white wall! The room I went in a couple of minutes back was not to be seen!


I was shell shocked....I moved closer to the wall inching with smaller steps and touched the wall...it's as solid as ever.


Thuddddd......my hand went inside the wall....and I was sucked into it....


The room I entered is full of skeletons...tens...may be hundreds of them piled in all directions.


I could see only one living being around; sitting on a chair at some distance. I started moving towards him.


My second or third step was on a skeleton which made me shriek. The voice made the person turn over.


"Oh....here you are! Time for me to go....hihihihihihihihihihihihi"....the wicked smile was too much to take. It was psyching me out.


All of a sudden, his head fell on the ground and the body (without the head) slowly moved through the opposite wall. The beheaded head became the fresh skeleton.


Will I be the next skeleton? 


1 comment:

? said...

Good spookiness...a touch of Ramgopal Varma....is there a sequel???